Sunday, October 26, 2008

Phillies

I stayed up for the whole game last night (it was rain-delayed an hour and a half, so it didn't even start until 10). Even if we're not at the ballpark, it's really cool to have the World Series so close to us. I ran up to the roof in the bottom of the 9th and caught the whole fireworks show from the stadium. As soon as they won I could hear people yelling and honking their horns.

It's a pretty pessimistic city, especially about sports, but people are cautiously excited now. On my walk home from work I see a Phillies sign in a window, colored and signed by a kid, maybe in school or daycare. The city workers are all wearing Phillies hats. "Fightin' Phils" towels hang in upstairs windows.

The other day I heard a kid telling his mom, "You be Ryan Howard and I'll be Jimmy Rollins, and I'll pitch to you..."
The mom said, "But Jimmy Rollins isn't a pitcher."
"Oh, who's the pitcher?" the kid said.
"Cole Hamels."
"Okay, I'll be Cole Hamels, and you be Ryan Howard..."

No comments: