Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Culture Vulture

Lately I've had a seemingly-endless appetite for art in all forms. Performances, movies, books, visual art, everything. I've been taking it in, making connections in my head, and wishing I had more people to talk to about it, or a specific venue in which to discuss it. Lucas shares many of my preoccupations, but not all, and we don't always consume the same things. I've also been happy to have facebook, but that small space for updates is like the shallow end of a pool that should have many different depths. I've been thinking that if I were at this point twenty years ago, I would have made a pretty good arts reviewer, and I think I would have loved doing it. Now, though, the internet has changed the reviewing game. But I don't want to just bemoan the fact that if everyone is doing it, it doesn't seem to matter whether I add my voice as well. I believe that art and the ability to make art and comment on it should be available to everyone, even if that might make it harder (in some ways) for me to make a career in the arts.

I don't know if I really would make a good reviewer, anyway. I'm not really interested in being a critic -- I want to make things and celebrate other people who make things. I want to share my enthusiasms. So all this is to say: expect some new pieces over at http://sundaymorningreviews.blogspot.com/

No comments: